Early settler and credited with naming St. Charles.
Moline Malleable Iron Company
Moline Malleable Iron Company was established in 1869 and originally consisted of a foundry which manufactured castings for thousands of manufacturers in various branches of iron work and power transmission for elevating and conveying machines, elevator buckets, and chains. Moline consumed 4,000 tons of pure pig iron annually which translated into thousands of finished products around the world.
In the early days before refrigeration, ice was essential to keeping food fresh and dairy products cold. Each winter, when the river had frozen over to at least 12 inches thick, men would go out and saw blocks of ice, raise them with a pulley on large chutes, and slide them to the ice houses where it would be packed with sawdust for summer
St. Charles Fire Department
St. Charles’ first motorized fire truck, a DeKalb motor truck made in DeKalb, IL. The DeKalb truck replaced previous firefighting equipment carried on wagons