Public Engagement Coordinator
The position of Public Engagement Coordinator for the St. Charles History Museum. Under the direction of the Museums Executive Director, the Public Engagement Coordinator is responsible for the coordination of the museum’s interpretive and educational experience for our visitors.
Hours: 22-24 Hours Hourly Rate: $13.00
The duties of this position fall under two categories:
• Plan, implement, and deliver interpretive and educational programs for the public.
• Develop program content for adult and children that supports the Museum’s mission and exhibits.
• Assist in resource development for all programs and events
• Plan and execute outreach into the community to raise awareness of the Museum’s educational offerings.
• Assist with Museum rentals
GUEST & MEMBERSHIP SERVICES
• Operate the Museum’s front desk & The Curious Fox Gift Shop
• Provide positive customer service experiences to all Museum visitors
• Provide general information about the Museum, Downtown St. Charles, and local area attractions and venues.
• Create meaningful connections and fulfilling experiences for guests
• Keep attendance records
• Manage the Museum’s Membership and its database (DonerPerfect).
• Actively promote and sell Museum memberships.
• Coordinate with the Marketing and Fundraising Coordinator
• Works with the Board of Directors and Committees
• Supervises volunteers/interns
• Assists on exhibits as needed
• Assists with special events
• Represent the Museum at public gatherings, and at professional conferences and seminars.
• Remain current in the scholarly developments within the museum field
• Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Holds a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Museology, Non-Profit Management, Public History, related field or equivalent work experience.
• Preferred knowledge of museum operations
• Have prior work experience in public programming, working with volunteers, and/or strong interpretive background.
• Experience in coordinating programs for children, youth, and/or adults.
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience in history, museums, public presentations, and education.
• Have the ability to communicate clearly in writing, verbally, and through public presentations.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, working enthusiastically and tactfully with diverse volunteers of all ages in a museum / public setting.
• Have the ability to design, write, implement, and analyze surveys and other evaluative tools.
• Exhibit excellent organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet schedules and deadlines, and follow through.
• Be willing to go the extra mile to support the team in a small museum setting.
• Be passionate and motivated, and willing to take initiative.
• Be proficient in Windows-based applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud.
• Be proficient in social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat.
• Be available for evening and weekend hours.
• Have a valid IL state driver’s license
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal effectively in a team environment.
• Thorough knowledge of professional and ethical museum standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is generally conducted in an office environment using a desktop computer, but regular travel to meetings and other gatherings is required. Weekend and evening work will be required. Considerable walking and standing, and some lifting and carrying are required at times.
Employed by: The St. Charles History Museum
Reports to: The Museum Director
Supervises: Museum volunteers and interns
Please email cover letter, resume, and other materials to the Executive Director Alison Costanzo at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered until an appropriate candidate is selected.